1. The Escort RS1600 was the very first British RS-badged Ford, launched in 1970. It was a direct alternative for the Escort Twin-Cam, operating parallel with it, within the showrooms, for greater than a 12 months, although the Twin-Cam was not assembled on the AVO plant, however at Halewood on Merseyside.
2. Made in Germany, the Capri RS2600 was probably the most profitable of all RS-badged Fords for some years. This mannequin was totally developed by Ford- Germany, and was formally by no means imported to the UK. A number of privileged Ford managers ran RS2600s for a time, all of these automobiles having left hand-drive.
3. The Capri RS3100 was made at Halewood, on Merseyside, in 1973/1974, the final Mk1 Capri sort ever produced there. The plant was nearly to be transformed to construct Capri Mk2 hatchbacks as a substitute. In line with FIA laws, for the RS3100 to be homologated, no less than 1,000 automobiles needed to be produced: Ford swore that this had been accomplished, however plainly solely 248 automobiles had been really constructed.
4. Each beaky-nosed RS2000 was constructed at Saarlouis in Germany between 1975 and 1980. It was an enormous advertising and monetary success, with nicely over 25,000 automobiles ultimately produced. Many survive to this present day.
5. The limited-production Escort RS1600i was the very first front-wheel drive RS-badged Ford, and was initially engineered by Ford-Germany. Introduced in 1981, it was solely produced with left-hand drive af first, however the supply of right-hand-drive automobiles started within the UK within the winter of 1982/1983. It is very important be aware that this was the primary fuel-injected by-product of the CVH engine for the mass-market, the XR3i didn’t comply with till late 1982.
6. Precisely 200 RS200s had been constructed between 1984 and 1986. All had been white at first, however a handful, like this pink instance, had been re-painted earlier than supply. The primary six automobiles had been prototypes, constructed on the Boreham motorsport centre. The steadiness of the run (194 automobiles) had been all assembled at a manufacturing facility at Shenstone, close to Lichfield, which had as soon as been a Reliant plant. The story that RS200s had been constructed by Reliant is sort of unfaithful, although that firm did certainly present among the physique shell mouldings. Nonetheless, one or two scurrilous cartoons of three-wheeler RS200s had been drawn up on the time!
7. Race ready Sierra RS500 Cosworths had been so highly effective, with dependable 550bhp 2-litre engines, that the sporting authorities ultimately re-wrote the principles to ban them from motorsport! By the point the engine was lastly discontinued in 1997, approaching 40,000 of every type had been manufactured.
8. When Francois Delecour’s Escort RS Cosworth gained the 1994 Monte Carlo, it was the primary time a Ford-badged automotive had gained this basic occasion for forty-one years.
9. From the Nineteen Eighties, Ford first tried to have its ‘XR’ collection take over from the RS model, and later tried to make use of the ‘ST’ as a substitute, however the ‘RS’ badge wouldn’t die. First there was the unique Focus RS, and later the Mk2 Focus RS adopted up. Be assured that new RS badged Fords might but seem because the 2010s progress.
10. Renault tried to muscle in on the act with an ‘RS200’ model of a front-wheel-drive hatchback, and was extensively abused for this. It was by no means going to go down nicely was it? RS – Rallye Sport, as each is aware of – was, and at all times shall be, firmly linked to The Blue Oval.