Suppose you realize your Ford RS200 details? Suppose once more, with our 10 stuff you (in all probability) didn’t know in regards to the Ford RS200…
1. The laws required 200 RS200s to be produced for it to achieve sporting homologation approval. After six prototypes had been constructed at Boreham in 1984 and 1985, the opposite 194 automobiles had been all assembled in a manufacturing unit at Shenstone, close to Lichfield, between summer season 1985 and January 1986.
2. Within the mid-Nineteen Eighties, worldwide Group B laws imposed an arbitrary ‘engine enlargement’ issue of 1.4:1 to turbocharged engines. This explains why the RS200 engine was of 1,803cc, which equated to a nominal 2,524cc, simply above the decrease 2.5-litre restrict, and permitting later ‘works’ automobiles to run with enlarged engines – as much as 2,143cc and the higher 3.0 restrict if needed.
3. Most individuals neglect that the RS200 was not the primary mid/rear-engined automobile to be developed at Boreham. The GT70 of 1970 (which had been designed by Len Bailey) beat it by greater than ten years, although that automobile solely had rear-wheel drive.
4. Many tall tales recommend that RS200s had been ‘constructed by Reliant’, however that is really mistaken. To do the job, Ford really took the lease of an ex-Reliant manufacturing unit, which was completely empty when acquired, and took on some redundant employees from Reliant. Most of the GRP exterior physique panels, nevertheless, did come from Reliant, whose plant was simply 5 miles away.
5. RS200 styling was carried out by Ghia, in Turin, Italy, and was loosely based mostly round the usage of a Sierra entrance windscreen and entrance roof, together with cut-down Sierra entrance doorways, however in high-tech supplies. The primary chassis ‘tub’ part was produced in aluminium honeycomb plus different high-tech supplies, and provided by Arch Motors.
6. Due to the FIA’s cancellation of the World Championship Group B method, Ford solely began three such occasions in works RS200s, taking one third place, in Sweden. Nonetheless, throughout the identical 12 months (1986), RS200s gained no fewer than nineteen worldwide rallies in Europe, and a number of other nationwide championships too.
7. Competitors RS200s had been outfitted to run in four-wheel or rear-wheel drive, on the driver’s alternative, however many street automobiles didn’t have that provision. When this function was fitted on some fashions, a second gear lever was to be seen, alongside the traditional gear lever.
8. The RS200 was the second specially- designed Group B automobile to take form at Boreham, and owed nothing to some other present Ford mannequin. It changed the Escort RS1700T undertaking, which was based mostly on the Escort Mk3 construction. The chief engineer was John Wheeler, who later went on to conceive the Escort RS Cosworth.
9. Most RS200 street automobiles ended up as wealthy males’s toys, finishing little or no mileage. Nonetheless, two drivers, Bob Howe (above) of Ford, who bought each single automobile, and Graham Robson, who ran the factory-controlled one-make membership, each clocked up greater than 100,000 miles in 4 years, utilizing a number of completely different automobiles in every case.
10. When Group B was cancelled by the FIA in mid-1986, Ford was on the right track to launch a brand new RS200E (E for Evolution) mannequin to be used in 1987. 20 such automobiles must be made, and specifically designed 2.1-litre BDT-E engines (which equated to 2.99-litres when the FIA ‘issue’ was utilized) had already been designed by Brian Hart Ltd. In later years, that engine would show able to producing as much as 650bhp!