From its humble origins to a longstanding partnership producing particular version racing boats, the
world of Mercedes-AMG is filled with surprises..
53 years in the past, three letters got here collectively to develop into synonymous with driving efficiency. These letters are AMG, and the corporate it represents at this time is world-renowned for supreme automotive efficiency, exclusivity and extremely dynamic driving pleasure.
Though its robust popularity evokes admiration and need amongst many, AMG has a storied historical past stuffed with surprises, lesser-known improvements and superlative, unique sports activities vehicles. Let’s dive in…
1. AMG stands for Aufrecht, Melcher, Großaspach, the final names of its founding fathers Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, together with Aufrecht’s birthplace of Großaspach. The names behind these three letters had been the place to begin for the speedy improvement of AMG from a two-man home- based mostly operation to an unparalleled international efficiency model.
The story began within the Nineteen Sixties: the 2 engineers, Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, had been engaged on the 300 SE 4 door sedan’s racing engine within the Growth Division at Daimler- Benz, till the corporate discontinued all motorsports actions. But, Aufecht and Melcher didn’t cease working. In Aufrecht’s home in Grossaspach, they spent their spare time additional honing the efficiency of their engine. In 1965, Manfred Schiek, a colleague at Daimler, went to the beginning within the German Touring Automobile Championship with the 300 SE engine that Aufrecht and Melcher had developed, and gained ten occasions. Schiek’s triumph shaped the inspiration of Aufrecht and Melcher’s popularity as consultants for sustaining and optimizing the efficiency of Mercedes-Benz automobiles, resulting in quite a few Motorsports successes and the eventual formal partnership with Mercedes- Benz.
2. The primary automobile related to AMG and maybe its most noteworthy, began its life as a subdued four-door sedan! The automobile that ultimately turned famend as the enduring “Purple Pig” racing automobile, which helped construct AMG’s credentials as a motorsports powerhouse, began its life as a Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3 four-door sedan. After Aufrecht and Melcher extensively modified the automobile, together with growing the engine’s displacement to six.8 liters, the completed automobile produced 428 horsepower and 448 lb-ft of torque, an enormous enchancment from the inventory output of 247 hp and 369 lb-ft. The duo additionally lightened the automobile extensively; though it was nonetheless doubtless the heaviest automobile on the grid at its racing debut within the 1971 24 hours of Spa, through which it secured a category win and second place total end result, instantly connecting the letters AMG with motorsports success.
3. The primary collectively developed high-performance automobile from AMG and Mercedes-Benz was the C 36 AMG. The C 36 AMG was additionally the primary AMG product to be formally bought in america at Mercedes-Benz dealerships, beginning in 1995. By 1998, the partnership between AMG and Mercedes-Benz solidified additional when Daimler acquired a majority stake of AMG, setting the stage for a wide range of high-performance Mercedes-Benz AMG automobiles.
4. For those who need the last word in AMG efficiency, few fashions can match the exclusivity and track-optimized efficiency of the uncommon AMG Black Sequence fashions. One can consider the Black Sequence as AMG’s most extroverted, most track-focused and most unique, restricted manufacturing fashions. Black Sequence fashions additional improve AMG’s already distinctive efficiency fashions by modifying their powertrain, chassis and aerodynamics to optimize monitor efficiency and dynamic capabilities. Up to now, solely 5 particular fashions have worn the distinctive AMG Black Sequence badge. These embody the CLK 63 Black Sequence, the C 63 Black Sequence, the SL 65 Black Sequence, the SLS Black Sequence, and the SLK 55 Black Sequence (which was not bought within the USA). Nevertheless, the unique Black Sequence household will develop quickly with the addition of the forthcoming GT Black Sequence, set to make its debut later this yr.
5. The placing SLS AMG was the first-ever automobile designed and developed from the bottom up absolutely by Mercedes-AMG, adopted by the AMG GT 2-door sports activities automobile in 2015, and most just lately the AMG GT 4-Door Coupe in 2019. The long-lasting SLS AMG featured vertically opening “gullwing” doorways, impressed by the enduring authentic Mercedes-Benz 300 SL “gullwing” (produced from 1954 – 1957). These distinctive doorways accommodated its light-weight alloy-tube body, which prolonged increased than a regular body, thus main to those revolutionary vertically opening doorways. Within the SLS AMG, these iconic gullwing doorways had been paired with an uncommon security characteristic — two explosive capsules, able to blowing the doorways off for fast egress, within the unlikely occasion that the automobile had been to be flipped on its roof.
6. Since 2007, Mercedes-AMG has shared its ardour for efficiency with the Cigarette Racing Crew, leading to a singular partnership that has produced 12 particular version, high-performance, ultra-exclusive boats. Most just lately, this partnership produced the all-new 59-foot Tirranna AMG Version alongside a one-of-a-kind Mercedes-AMG G 63 Cigarette Version on the 2020 Miami Worldwide Boat Present. The placing design of the 59′ Tirranna AMG Version in addition to the Mercedes-AMG G 63 Cigarette Version is the results of shut collaboration between the Cigarette Racing Crew, the Mercedes-AMG design workforce and Gorden Wagener, Chief Design Officer, Daimler AG.
7. All handcrafted AMG fashions are constructed in line with the “One man, one engine” philosophy, an ironclad dedication to high quality, through which one grasp craftsman assembles every AMG handcrafted engine from begin to end. This high quality building is honored by every builder through a particular plaque, signed by the person who assembled it and positioned on the handcrafted engine upon completion.
8. At the moment, Mercedes-AMG is headquartered in Affalterbach, Germany, a small city northeast of Stuttgart within the state of Baden-Wüttemberg. Affalterbach is dwelling to the administration, administration, gross sales, improvement and design groups of AMG, in addition to the constructing of AMG hand- crafted engines. Mercedes-AMG now employs roughly 1,800 folks—fairly the distinction from its humble beginnings as a two-man operation at Hans Werner Aufrecht’s home in Großaspach!
9. Mercedes-AMG has a historical past of know-how and efficiency associated improvements, lots of that are evident in our newest automobiles. For instance, the subsequent time you drive a Mercedes-AMG, take particular observe of the AMG Dynamic Choose toggle on the middle console, in addition to the optionally out there AMG Drive Unit steering wheel controls, if outfitted. These controls unlock a plethora of efficiency potential and individualization prospects, all out there from the consolation of your sports activities seat through a toggle on the console, or switches on the AMG steering wheel.
From “Consolation” to “Sport”, “Sport +”, “RACE” and “Particular person”, the driving force is ready to affect the efficiency traits of their AMG with as much as 5 distinct driving modes. Not too long ago, a few of our newest AMG fashions additionally provide the brand new AMG Drive Unit controls, which add a brand new set of configurable controls on the decrease a part of the steering wheel. A spherical management knob on the decrease proper aspect of the steering wheel can simply change the driving modes with out eradicating your arms from the steering wheel, enabling the driving force to give attention to their efficiency. The lower-left steering wheel buttons additionally provide a wide range of quick-access customizations, together with capabilities similar to the extent of traction management in addition to the AMG Efficiency Exhaust setting, simply accessible through these new superior steering wheel mounted controls.
10. The Mercedes-AMG ONE hypercar is ready to develop into essentially the most highly effective AMG automobile ever produced— able to producing greater than 1,000 hp and reaching high speeds past 217 mph. For the primary time, this two-seater hypercar will convey the very newest and best, fully-fledged Formulation 1 hybrid know-how instantly from the racetrack to the street, delivering the last word in Driving Efficiency for years to come back.