1. The distinguished HS1 (Excessive Velocity) railway, which now hyperlinks London with France and Belgium through the Channel Tunnel, runs proper by way of the centre of the Dagenham property. Though not but as much as their most cruising speeds, the trains are already exceeding 100mph at that time.
2. Though Dagenham was a primary website for enemy bombing throughout the Second World Battle, and was hit repeatedly, it was not often out of motion. Throughout that battle, many hundreds of transformed vans, vehicles and tractors have been produced for the army effort, together with hundreds of V8 engines, which went into army equipment like the ever-present Bren gun carriers.
3. What grew to become Ford’s huge Dagenham website was not more than a boggy waste land till the corporate purchased it within the mid-Nineteen Twenties. The London suburb we now know as Dagenham didn’t exist both. The primary car to roll off meeting traces at Dagenham in 1931 was a truck. The primary non-public automobiles – the 60mph 8bhp Mannequin Y saloons, adopted a 12 months later.
4. A few years in the past, the identical website acquired iron ore by ship to the Thames-side foundry, together with big rolls of sheet metal, and the complete automobile was then accomplished on website, with solely specialised gadgets resembling electrical parts, tyres and glass having to be provided from elsewhere. At its peak, Dagenham may construct as much as half-a-million automobiles a 12 months – within the mid-Nineteen Sixties, for example, as much as 250,000 Cortinas have been produced yearly.
5. The final full automobile to go away the Dagenham website was a Fiesta, inbuilt 2002, after which the trendy PTA (Paint Trim Meeting) complicated was demolished. In seventy-one years, nearly 11 million automobiles, vans, tractors, vehicles and army automobiles have been constructed there.
6. Over time, surprisingly few ‘quick Ford’ manufacturing automobiles have been really assembled at Dagenham – probably the most notable in all probability being the MkII Lotus-Cortina of 1967-1970. Different well-known machines, such because the Escort RS1600, the Sierra RS Cosworth, the Escort RS Cosworth, the RS200 and high-performance variations of the Capri, the Mondeo and the Focus, have been all constructed elsewhere.
7. What was the quickest Ford highway automobile ever to be assembled at Dagenham? Other than the Lotus-Cortina, already talked about, it was in all probability one of many high-performance FWD Fiestas produced within the early Nineties.
8. One of many storage compounds used for brand spanking new automobiles at Dagenham for a few years was Frog Island, whose authentic naming is shrouded in an excessive amount of thriller and conjecture. Some of the vibrant is that at one time it was used as a prisoner-of-war camp for continental prisoners taken throughout the Napoleonic conflicts in earlier centuries.
9. With the positioning largely cleared lately, a lot area was available that the ultra-complex Opening and Closing ceremonies for the 2012 Olympic Video games have been rigorously and triumphantly rehearsed within the weeks main as much as that well-known event.
10. Redeveloped lately, what stays of the Dagenham property is now Ford’s largest international producer of diesel engines. Greater than one million diesels are produced yearly, and the 40 millionth whole engine construct mark was handed in 2012. These engines not solely energy Ford automobiles, however have additionally been
provided to Volvo, Citroen, Peugeot, Mazda, Jaguar and Vary Rover lately.